Septic Tank Pumping When You Need Clean
The installation of the septic tank is a great way to dispose of both liquid and solid wastes, especially in places with no sewage network present.
A sewage tank is generally installed underground and is connected to the main plumbing lines of a house with the help of pipes and drains.
These drains bring in the sewage from the house and store them in the septic tank, where they undergo a process of natural decomposition with the help of the bacteria present in the tank.
The liquid and solid parts also get separated with the pre-treated liquid part expelled out into perforated pipes. These pipes placed underground into special soil absorption fields or drain fields wherein the effluent is slowly released into it.
The septic tank is generally made of fiberglass, polyurethane, or concrete and has to store the separated solid wastes which settle at its bottom in the form of sludge. Septic pumping companies like Diamond Septic Pumping will remove the waste, professionally. DiamondSeptic.com
Need for inspection and cleaning
Inspecting the tank is a necessity to ensure the longevity of the septic tank system.
Here are some procedures for inspecting the septic system
- Checking all the pipes and drains are clear,
- Checking for cracks in the tank and repairing them immediately,
- Making sure the drainpipes are functioning correctly,
- There is no gurgling sound coming out,
- The P-Trap is not dry, and the vent pipes are also clear.
Regular inspection will also enable the house owner to know the exact condition of the septic tank with regards to the accumulation of sludge. Thus he/she can schedule the cleaning and pumping session based on reality rather than on hypothesis.
Generally, a septic tank should not be allowed to fill up more than 30% and a cleaning scheduled the moment this level has been reached.
Cleaning and pumping out of the septic tank is a valuable exercise which needs to be carried out with alacrity since it helps prevent:
- The emission of foul odor and polluting the environment with its putrid smell,
- Aiding the spread of disease-causing allergens thereby making the place unhealthy and making the people staying there vulnerable to the skin, airborne and water-borne diseases,
- Ensuring the groundwater does not get polluted with high concentrations of nitrates thereby rendering it useless,
- The whole of the septic system from developing problems, thus leading to unnecessary waste of time and money, etc.
- Frequency of cleaning
There are two critical factors which determine the frequency of septic tank cleaning:
- Size and capacity of the tank and
- The number of people using the same.
Both the factors are interdependent since the capacity is defined by the number of people using it and vice versa. It has been generally seen that the septic tank comes in sizes that range from 500 gallons to about 2500 gallons.
The capacity of the septic tank to be installed depends on the number of people residing in a house. Thus for a small family, a septic tank of low capacity will also suffice while a large family will need a bigger tank.
Thus the frequency of cleaning of the septic tank would ideally be based on the following factors:
- Small family using a small tank would require frequent cleaning with at least one cleaning scheduled in a year,
- A small family with a large septic tank can use it for longer duration without cleaning; thus pumping it once every 4 or 6 years would be enough to keep it clean,
- Large family using a relative small septic tank would need a cleaning almost every six months and
- A large family with a large tank can opt for pumping and cleaning the tank once every 1 or 2 years.
It is always better to opt for professionals to do the actual job of pumping the septic tank since they not only have the required knowledge about the proper procedure, they are also well-equipped to deal with the sludge pumped out and collected in the appropriate way. Thus the waste gets disposed of in an environmentally safe way as described by the state authorities, and there is no pollution of any sort.