Septic Pumping Service San Diego
A Comprehensive Guide To Septic Tank Pumping
The installation of the septic tank has become a common enough sight. For example almost about one third homes of America have a septic tank installed in the backyard, outside the house. Simple in design and effectively treating all types of waste that come out of a house, the septic tank is essentially an environment friendly option.
Design and working principle
The septic tank essentially works to remove the heavier particles from the waste water that comes out of a home. It might be single or dual chambered. All the drains coming out of the house converge to form a single pipe leading to the septic tank. The septic tank receives the waste water coming out of all outlets like toilets, washrooms, kitchens, sinks washing machines etc. and facilitates its separation with:
- The sludge which is the heaviest particulate portion sinking to the bottom,
- The scum which consists of particles of fats, oils, proteins etc., floating on the top and
- The effluent or grey water which is the relatively clear layer of liquid present in the middle.
All these layers combined are known as the septage. Septic tanks are so designed that they are able to release the grey water into drain or leach fields with the help of small pipes. The drain field lies under the ground but much above the underground water to ensure the underground water does not get polluted. The effluent is somewhat rich in organic matter and with the soil providing an appropriate filter, the water from it percolates down while the organic matter remains behind to act as a fertiliser.
Need for septic tank pumping
Due to the efflux of the effluent layer what is left behind is solid and semi sold material. This tends to settle down and get deposited on the tank floor gradually filling up the tank. Hence they need constant monitoring by the homeowner so as to avoid any problems that might crop up. These problems, if allowed to arise can cost a person a lot of money to get it remedied. Hence they are best avoided by going in for regular cleaning of the same by the process of septic tank pumping.
Frequency of septic tank pumping
The build-up of scum and sludge inside the septic tank happens even though various actions keep simultaneously happening inside the septic tank like:
- The septage is attacked by the microbial ecosystem,
- The septic system functions quite well and
- The presence of a good drain field.
Hence it is generally recommended that the whole system of septic tanks be checked by professionals:
- Atleast once a year or
- When the sunken sludge attains a height of about 12 inches.
An average septic tank, however, requires a good pumping approximately every three years to keep it functioning fine for many years more. The frequency of pumping a septic tank depends on:
- The number of people present in the family,
- Waste product produced volume,
- Total amount of the solid wastes which enter the system,
- Septic drain field condition,
- The size of the septic tank and
- The type of usage it undergoes.
Septic tank pumping tips
There are certain procedures that need to be maintained and followed in order to have a successful septic tank pumping session. These procedures include:
- Getting a good price for the same from contractors well-versed in this,
- Always be prepared to face the worst and act accordingly,
- Employ proper water management techniques in your family and
- Keep records for minute details like the tank size, the tank age and the capacity of the tank in use.
Septic tank cleaning means effectively refers to the process of the removal of the septage from the tank with the help of a pump truck. After the extraction of this waste, it is disposed in either of the following ways:
- Taking it to the municipal waste water treatment plant,
- Taking it to a private beneficial use facility etc.
Common mistakes made during the process
Some very common septic tank pumping mistakes made are:
- Infrequent cleaning of the septic tank,
- Increased frequency of septic tank cleaning and
- Doing it to clear a failed or clogged drain field.
Maintenance of septic tank
The maintenance of the septic tank enables a homeowner to:
- Keep the pumping cost levels down and
- Does away with instances of broken tank.
Some ways in which to take proper care of the septic tank are:
- The location of the house and the septic tank should be drawn properly,
- Never ever parking cars on top of it so as to prevent any additional pressure,
- Natural grass complements the drain field like no other plant can and
- Things flushed out of the drains need to be checked for plastics, diapers and prepare napkins.
Of course it is always best to go in for professional help for this project. They do the job effortlessly and easily thereby ensuring the proper pimping out of the waste products.